NOTE: The deadlines represent the time that all application documents must be completed with the tuition paid in full.
The Korean class at the Institute of International Language of Dongguk University was founded in 2002 in order to help those who are very interested in learning Korean.
Our Korean class consists of 6 total levels along with experiences of Korean culture and Korean history. The institute has highly trained faculty and use Dongguk University's Korean textbook with well organized curriculum. A systemic and modern class is made considering the Korean learners' level. Dongguk's Korean course builds the best understanding of Korean and Korean culture. Completing level 4 allows students to enter Dongguk University's undergraduate program without needing TOPIK level 4.
We offer cultural experiences and a global buddy program to improve students' Korean skills and understanding of Korean culture. You will also meet international students from the all around world.
Medium intensity means the school gives you a perfect balance between study pace and free time. This means that you’ll be able to enjoy your life in Korea, while still being able to effectively progress your studies.
You are able to join supplementary classes, pronunciation classes, and study halls in order to improve your Korean skills fast and strive towards your own goals.
You’ll have many opportunities to meet with local Koreans and Korean students at various school events. They also have an International Student Mentoring program designed to have Korean students assist international students.
One of the best parts of being a student is the student dorm – the school operates dormitories which are all close to the school, making them one of the cheapest and most convenient options for student housing.
The school published it’s own textbook and it provides structured learning methods that help to enhance speaking, listening, reading, and writing skills.
Don’t worry if you’ve never learned any Korean before. The school offers courses that start from the very basics designed to let students from any country or language background learn easily!
The staff are professionals who will be able to assist you with any issues you may have during your studies.
Need Internet to look up vocabulary you can’t remember, or to text the friend you just met in class? Use the free wifi available at school!
Once per term all Korean language students will have a cultural activity with their teachers.
Students can use the school library
Dongguk's campus is in the center of Seoul, only a 10 to 15 minute walk to Myeongdong or Dongdaemun market. You can also visit the famous places in Seoul using the subway within a few stops.
• The Korean course consists of 6 total levels from level 1 to level 6. The institute uses the Korean textbooks Dongguk University developed and it is organized to enable significant integration of comprehension and expression for students.
• 1 class has about 15 international students
• 4 terms per year
• 1 term is 10 weeks long
• Every term has 1 cultural activity
Without Student Visa (D-4)
With Student Visa (D-4)
6 - 24 months
Morning Class - Level 3 to 6
Afternoon Class - Level 1 to 2
Course hours per week:20
• Completely read and write Korean consonants and vowels
• Understand basic sentence structure, tense expression and rules of verb and adjective usage
• Acquire basic language skills required for daily life such as greeting, self introduction, purchasing, using transportation, and calling
• Correctly pronounce and understand the various rules of phonemes
• Classifying honorific and regular speaking depending on the situation
• Make sentences using various conjunctions
• Comparatively free to communicate about daily life, ask and answer questions about familiar subjects
• Communicate about daily life without inconvenience
• Express own opinions about private and familiar social subjects orally as well as written
• Explain, describe, compare, and deliver language in an appropriate situation
• Smooth expression using Korean passive and indirect speech
• Understand and express one's thoughts on social and current events based on learned grammar
• Understand and properly use the basic differences and characteristics of formality/non-formality and literary/colloquial style.
• Deepen one’s understanding of Korean society and culture by learning idioms and proverbs
• Understand Korean political, economic, social, cultural, and other professional fields and logically express opinions about them.
• Choose and use an appropriate expression in diverse and complicated situations
• Achieve skills required to study in a degree course such as writing a thesis, critical analysis, giving speeches, and discussions
• Use Korean grammar freely and participate in professional activities
• Concretely figure out the content of editorials, news reports, professional articles, literature, and broadcasts
• Understand the Korean way of thinking and customs; having no trouble in most activities and expressions throughout Korean language
Tuition Cost Breakdown
Note: • The tuition fees include the textbooks, a cultural activity, and student health insurance.
• Textbooks: Level 1 & 2 have four books in total (Textbook A & B plus a workbook for each). Level 3~6 have two books in total (Textbook A & B)
• Insurance coverage: Injuries/illnesses, follow-up treatment, hospital admission/discharge, and prescription drugs.